TikTok became one of the most popular social platforms in the last year. This short video app started becoming popular in 2018 and until today it has gone completely mainstream. Getting famous on TikTok didn’t seem as hard at the beginning. Today however going viral requires earning a spot on #ForYouPage. Page that supplies videos that the app thinks you might enjoy.
There are various different things that you can do on TikTok, but all of them are about videos. Making short, funny, entertaining, motivating, or fashion videos. A type of videos that people are interested in nowadays. But one of the most popular features that TikTok has to offer are duets. These gave you the ability to record your own video alongside someone else’s.
This meant that you could sing a duet with any famous singer, but now people are using this feature in all sorts of ways. For example, you can use it to react to people, create some sort of comedic type of videos, commenting on their singing, recording your reactions and so on. Some people even record a duet with themselves. The possibilities are endless and it all depends what you imagined.
How can I do a Duet Video?
In order to duet a video, the original account must have Duets enabled. Users can opt to allow anyone to Duet their videos, noone or just their friends. If you are not sure whether you have it enabled or not, follow these settings and check it out:
- Open the TikTok app.
- Press the Me button at the bottom-right of the screen.
- Tap the three horizontal dots at the top-right of the screen.
- Navigate to Privacy -> Who can Duet with your videos
- Select your preferred option.
When you post a Duet, the original video is placed on the right side of the screen, and newly recorded video (in this case yours) will be placed on the left. Both videos will be played at the same time.
If you already have an idea of what your Duet video will be about, then let’s jump into how to do a duet on TikTok.
- First, open your TikTok app and find the video you want to duet with.
- Then, at the bottom of the sidebar menu on the right, tap the sharing button. It looks like an arrow pointing to the right.
- At the bottom of the “Share to” menu that pops up, tap “Duet.” If it’s grayed out, that person has disabled Duets on their account.
- Tap the red button at the bottom of the screen to start recording your video. Yours will appear on the left — the other person’s will appear on the right.
- When you’re finished, tap the check mark to the right of the recording symbol.
- Check your duet to make sure it’s to your liking, then add any stickers or effects you may want and post it like you would with any other TikTok video.
5 TikTok Duet Ideas
Now when you learn how to do a duet on TikTok, it’s time to work on ideas on how to use them, and how to get more followers. Here are some ideas that you can use until you get a hang of it.
- Reaction Videos
Reaction videos can be about anything, from best moments in sport to tv show and movie trailers, up to new songs or video games. People love seeing reaction videos as they tend to be extremely funny.
- Before and After
Before and After is also another interesting idea that can also be used for a lot of different topics. From with and without makeup, to messy and clean house, places during summer and winter and so on.
- Role playing
Acting is always trendy. Depending on your topic, role playing can be hilarious if organized properly. Remember that friend or relative that is always hilarious? Why not record them and try to imitate them. Sounds like tons of fun.
- Trending Experiments
The ideas regarding experiments are endless, but whatever that comes to your mind don’t hesitate and just do it. People are crazy about these things, and you can always search for some new ideas for it on YouTube.
- Behind the scenes
Show your behind the scenes atmosphere or even better record someone elses. It is always nice to see what is going on behind the curtain especially when a nice video has been recorded.
Why can't I see a Duet button?
If you can't see it then it is most likely because the account has it disabled.
Can I duet with a prerecorded video?
No, sadly you can only do a duet while recording it within the app.
Is there an option to see all Duets of a TikTok?
Sadly there is no option for it. You can only see duets if they pop on ForYouPage feed.