There are currently around 2.8 billion Facebook users, which makes Facebook the biggest social media site. Over the years, Facebook has become a part of our daily lives. Almost everyone has a Facebook account and is using it daily.
This platform is the best used for getting in touch with family and friends, especially with the ones that are living in other countries. Having so many users, Facebook had to add more strict rules and options on how one can use Facebook. If you are one of those who do not own a Facebook account, you will find that it is not so easy to create an account today.
Facebook, has been accused of mishandling data and helping contribute to misinformation. A lot of Facebook users experienced this first hand, which is why many decided to permanently delete their Facebook accounts.
However, there is a difference between deleting and deactivating a Facebook account. Deleting Facebook account will completely remove it from the site, while deactivating will make the account disabled, for anyone on the platform. Aldo the information about it will still be on the website.
An important thing to know about deleting an account is that it is not instantly permanent. Facebook allows users to change their mind within 90 days, but once the countdown passes, it will be impossible to bring your Facebook account back.
How to download your personal information?
If you want to delete your Facebook account, before hitting the button, we strongly recommend you to download all your personal information that the site collected. This includes all of your pictures, message archives, posts and everything else. This way you can store all your data and not regret not saving a certain image or post, that might bring some memories back.
- If you want to download your personal information, navigate to Facebook on the web.
- Click the drop down arrow at the top of the page, on the right side, and click “Settings & Privacy”.
- Following that, hit the “Settings” button, and then choose “Your Facebook information” on the left hand side.
- You can then view or download your information, setting a particular date range, or choosing whether it should be in HTML or JSON.
- This allows you to select exactly which data you would like to download, allowing you to exclude certain things.
- Once this is done, click the blue “Create file” button,
Once your data is ready, Facebook will send you data, on the email you have your account registered to.
How to deactivate your Facebook account?
Deactivating your account is less drastic than deleting. This option enables you to seem like your account is deleted, but with the option to return at any time and reactive it. When you deactivate your account, your timeline, photos, profile and all other content will be hidden from all users.
It will seem like your account does not exist anymore. Your friends will still be able to see messages that you sent them, but they will not be able to reply to them.
An important thing to point out is that you will lose admin privileges for any Facebook pages or groups that you run.
Deactivating a Facebook account can be done through the similar steps as downloading your data.
- Navigate to Facebook on the web.
- Click on the drop down arrow at the top right of the site, and hit “Settings & privacy”.
- Then go into Settings, and head to “Your Facebook information”.
- Under that will be a button that says “Deactivating or deleting your Facebook account”. Hitting that will give you the option to review your decision, and deactivate the account.
- “Your account will be disabled and your name and photos will be removed from most things you’ve shared. You’ll be able to continue using Messenger”, Facebook advises.
This setting is temporary, and you will be able to bring your Facebook account back when you choose.
In case you change your mind and want to Reactivate your account , simply visit Facebook and sing in again.
How to delete your Facebook account?
Deleting your account is the permanent option for getting rid of Facebook. If you are absolutely sure that you are done with the site, that you will never again want to access your profile, friends, photos and everything else that you’ve built there, then deletion will make that happen.
However, Facebook will assure your account deletion will not happen right away. For many reasons, people change their mind quickly and regret deleting their accounts. That is why Facebook will give you a 90 days period to cancel deletion and bring yourself back to the Facebook world.
But, once those three months time passes, you will never be able to bring your account back.
If you are sure you want to permanently delete your Facebook account, then follow the steps below:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- At the upper right hand corner, click on the arrow pointing downwards. Click on “Settings” from the drop down menu.
- Click on “Your Facebook Information”. Located at the left side corner of the screen.
- Click “View on Deletion” Located at the last tab of the Your Facebook Information section
- Select “Permanently Delete Account”. There are two choices available, make sure to select the right one
- Click on “Continue to Account Deletion”
- Enter your Facebook Password to confirm it is your account then Click “Continue”. This is to confirm that you are the owner of the account. Enter Facebook Password to confirm
Facebook stats on its website: “When you delete your Facebook account, you won’t be able to retrieve the content or information that you’ve shared on Facebook. Your Messenger and all of your messages will also be deleted”, Facebook states on its website.
That is it! If this is what you have been searching for, we hope you are happy. Aldo, remember that the company owns several other popular services as well. So if you are looking to delete your Instagram account too, you can read more about it here.
Is it safe to delete Facebook account?
Deleting your Facebook account will take some time and effort, but if you're done with the social network, it's worth it
What happens when I delete messenger?
While uninstalling the apps doesn't do any damage, clearing app data on Android will delete the downloaded media files for the respective app and log you out from the apps. Logging out from the app is equivalent to uninstalling it.
Can you tell if someone deleted your Facebook message?
No, you can't see deleted messages or conversations. Deleting a message permanently removes it from your Chat list. Keep in mind that deleting a message or conversation from your Chat list won't delete it from the Chat list of the person you chatted with.